Thursday, February 14, 2008

Healing as a Threat - The Auto-immune Disorder of the Soul

For the last year I have been working with a dilemma - the client obsessed with the healing process who never heals. Some of these individuals find one healer and work with them forever even when the work does not lead to any lasting benefit. Others engage with a vast variety of healers and therapies without a strategic healing plan and an assessment process . Both groups are usually very knowledgeable and well-read but are highly emotional in their unsuccessful pursuit of healing.

I want to share my thoughts on the clients who work with many different healers and healing modalities.


Healing work takes consistency, commitment and attention from both healing partners. Since I am a generalist and intuitive I recognize the need for a healing relationship that functions as the organizing strategic and tactical center for the engagement and comprehensive assessment of healing needs, resources and benefits. I work to provide this for my clients. Without this centering perspective the healing process becomes impulsive and compulsive - a dynamic where research, choices and reactions lose focus and effectiveness. Not enough time to is given to any one healing process to achieve lasting transformations or results.

There is a profile of the "juggler" client. They are always juggling many healing processes and many healers, tossing balls in the air, catching and holding balls, dropping balls, picking up dropped balls and finding new balls. These individuals are always quite brilliant/gifted. Many of them had "ill" mothers and emotionally absent fathers. Many of them had mothers that worked with a number of healing modalities often beyond traditional forms for themselves or one or more of their children. The parent/child dynamic is focused on being ill and seeking, but not finding wellness, happiness, stability. It is as if being ill is always trumping being well. This dynamic impacts the adult life of the child. Healing would be a betrayal of the parent but seeking healing is loyalty to the parent or family system.

This is an auto-immune disease in the soul - any potential healing is perceived as potential threat or harm and emotional antibodies are released to create doubt, resistance or abandonment of the healing process. These antibodies have intellectual, sympathetic or practical rationales that are quite powerful in their justifications. However, they are auto-immune responses and need to be confronted and understood as such to move to authentic healing.


Truly, without first addressing the auto-immune soul disorder, the sufferer will succeed only in continuing to suffer and remaining loyal to a family dynamic of seeking and not finding. Sadly, I don't know any juggler who has succeeded in recovering well-being.

I am working on a set of guidelines to support these individuals. If you identify with this disorder or love someone who suffers with it, please email me. I would love to know your story and your questions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think at different times I may have been perceived as a "juggler". However, there are also those who are impatient with the widespread incompetency of both allopathic and holistic health care community. Sometimes it is impossible to find the right fit when a person is, in fact, very knowledgeable. For instance, the other day, I saw a brand new chiropractor/nutritionist/acupuncturist who I found through the roster of my new HMO. I don't know him well, but decided I would try him out after hearing him speak on a local radio show, which I pulled up after googling his name. He insisted I bring in all my supplements for him to test. I was really reluctant to do this, but he kept hounding me about it and he has been helping my severe sciatica somewhat, so I relented.

He used a kinesiology machine called a Vega to test for the absorbability of each of my supplements and summarily dismissed them all as "unabsorbable" by my body. He then gave me a bottle of fish oils and a multi-vitamin supplement to use instead without ever testing those (and charged me $80 for them!) In addition, the multi he gave me was iron and copper free, which he then corrected when I brought it to his attention. Question: How comfortable should I be with this chiropractor now? People, are for sure, fallable. But when it comes to one's health, how much fallability should we allow? I have many stories like this one. The borderline "malpractice" which I have witnessed in the alternative medicine community is almost as bad, and in some cases, even worse that some of the malpractice I have seen in the traditional medicine community as a medical malpractice attorney. Sometimes it is the "healer" and not the healing that is the real threat.

Anonymous said...

I really resonated with this. I have been struggling with chronic fatigue syndrome for over 15 years if not longer. My mother is the owner a a holisitic health center in the ny area. it is amzing how my parents fit the description of what you portrayed in this article. I have been involved with personal transformation for years-- I have heard many thoeries about why i am sick and have had many insights into it... but this one about the auto immune disorder of the soul struck me like a lightening bolt! i want to thank you so much. i would write more, but it is very late and i must go to bed now. i would love to hear you say more about this. it is as if a lightbulb turned on when i read this. a BIG AH-HA!!! Something amazing just flipped. Again, I thank you so MUCH!!!

Ananda

ps. feel free to write me at AnandaHealing@aol.com

turiya said...

Lynn,
I've read your blog, seems like you have some great ideas with regards to offering assistance to individuals in becoming more aware.

One thing I have to say, though, is the title of the article needs to be changed.

Yes, It looks more powerful with the title of "...disorder of the SOUL" being used, but it is not correct. To put it right is to say: The healing threat is the auto-immune disorder of the MIND.

From: http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1122579
Although Lynn Jerhiico calls it the "Auto-immune Disorder of the Soul", a better name would be to call it the "Auto-immune Disorder of the Mind". To say it is disorder of the soul is not right.

We have all been conditioned from childhood...
When the child gets sick, the parent showers the child with attention... with love.
This is when this behavior is learned. It is a conditioning of the mind not of the soul.

One is taught that one is incapable of taking care of oneself. Hence, one seeks out a so-called 'expert' when some thing is lost. One seeks out a doctor when health of the body is lost... seeks out a psychologist/psychiatrist when one's mental health is lost... seeks out a minister, priest or rabbi when one feels lost in this world.

Health problems can persist out of habit because being ill has become a habit.
Over time one becomes quite familiar with one's disease... if one were to become suddenly healthy, one would feel as though they have just lost a dear friend.

This is when a hypno-therapist can be of some help... or, meditation can be the best of self-helps.

From: http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1122579
Sorry, but i feel Lynn Jerhiico is giving this article the title to make an impact, to catch clients. She bills herself as an intuitive and a generalist (a knowledgeable type), placing herself in a position to guide those that are trying to put things in the proper order.

It is because of her position, of placing herself to have influence over others, is why she needs to be challenged on the title of this article. There is a possibility that it may affect some people negatively and delay their being able to proceed to higher levels of understanding.

It is felt that the woman also does not really meditate herself... But only thinks about meditating.

Best regards,
turiya